NavBar

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Tuesday Update

Started my internship on Monday!  I'm basically following the bloc.io program.  I started on the foundations unit of the bloc.io program and I'm going through each lesson and exercises.  I'm on exercise 18.  Right now going over Ruby concepts/OOP, then will move into Rails.  The lessons are going well since I've been studying these concepts on my own over the past couple months.  The commute to/from Amsterdam and Den Haag isn't the most fun, but I will manage.  We plan to move to A'dam this spring/summer, so I'm not too bothered about it right now, except that it is expensive!  Dogs are managing being alone all day for the past 2 days, so hopefully they will continue to do well with it.  Mondays are definitely going to be rough long days, since I have a Dutch course in the evening and I don't get home until after 10pm.

I've been working so hard lately on teaching myself to code and picking up a new language and frankly, it's the most exhausting period of my life right now.  I don't think I've studied as many hours as I do now even when I was in college or doing my Masters degree!  I'm focused and I'm willing to suffer through lack of sleep and such to get this new career and make our lives better for the both of us.  I'm so happy to have a husband who notices and appreciates.  He randomly sent me an awesome little pep talk today re: learning to program and learning Dutch:
I know you've done everything possible to get to where you are in Ruby and in Dutch in a really short timeframe.  And no matter what anyone else says, and no matter how anyone treats you, you can know that you are putting the effort in, and you've accomplished so much.  I'm more and more impressed every day.  Honestly, you've given me renewed drive to improve my development skills.
Now... time to study some Dutch, play with the dogs, and then SLEEP.