NavBar

Monday, December 22, 2014

Monday's progress.


With technology projects, like many other aspects of life, though it seems you’ll never get it right, and never get it done, there are moments when you can savor a sense of accomplishment. This is one of those moments. -Daniel Kehoe, Learn Rails Tutorial

Sunday's progress:

  • Got mailer setup and working.
  • Got site deployed to Heroku and working.
  • Even though I was getting all this stuff done, troubleshooting and fixing stuff, I felt incredibly overwhelmed and confused again about controllers, views, and models.  
  • Felt down because I was confused and felt like I didn't understand anything at all and felt like I hadn't learned anything in the tutorial, but just following instructions.


Today's progress:


  • I got a good 4 hours of studying done at the library before it was time to go home and walk/feed the dogs.
  • In that time, I re-read much of what I had just done/learned in the Learn Rails tutorial. 
  • I googled A LOT.  Learning about RESTful design.  Learning about 'skinny controller, fat model.'  Looking up more about ActiveRecord, ActiveModel, ActionController & Mailer. Looking up about using render vs. redirect_to in the controller methods.
  • Reading RubyDocs like "Rails routing from the outside in."
  • When I got back home, I finished up the bulk of the tutorial, adding segment.io JS to create analytics via google analytics.  And pushed it to heroku and made sure it was working via checking the real-time analytics tracking.
  • I feel a little less completely lost this evening.
  • In the past few days, I've read over 250 pages (and re-read most of those) of the Learn Rails tutorial.  I have about 70 more pages to finish.